Friday, June 24, 2011

Prayers

With so much going on in our changing lives, I felt the need for another post. I mean how could I sum up everything in a few paragraphs? It's such an exciting time for our family. I had a chance to sit down with the boys last night and talk about the news of twins coming into our family. I was a little shocked that they are as excited as they are. They both say they want two girls and they're both willing to give up their room and move in with each other. Of course the thought of bunk beds may have helped in that decision. The funny thing is, Isaiah wants the top bunk and Jason wants the bottom bunk. I remember never agreeing with my younger brother when it came to bunk selection. That's one less thing to worry about. Just 999,999 things to go..


Karyn and I had the chance last night to kind of talk things over and we look forward to what the future is going to bring. It's going to seem like we're waiting forever to find out the sexes of the babies. We have doctor's appointments set for 07/06 & 07/15. And after that, I believe we'll be going once a month until we start getting closer to the due date. We've been looking at outfits, car seats, names, and everything else that you can imagine. We can't really buy any of those things until we know what we're having. We can go ahead and start stocking up on diapers. That would probably be a great idea.

Since finding out that we're having twins, I'm meeting a lot of parents who have twins and getting some great advice. I was told by one guy that the best advice he was given was, "When one child wakes up in the middle of the night hungry, go ahead and wake the other up." Genius. Then we're not getting up as much (still a lot) and the babies will get on the same schedule. I mentioned to another friend how I've started reading up on some of the additional risks associated with twins. She said, "If you read all that negative stuff that's possible, you will worry the entire time. That's not good for anybody." Once again, genius. Parents are such a great group of people. We feed off each other and make each other better parents. I'm looking forward to joining the "Parents of Twins" society. I think I'll fit in well.

There are also some of my friends who have been less than positive and I appreciate their honesty. One friend said "I would probably just go ahead and jump off a bridge." and another said "I would change my name and get a passport." I don't agree with those sentiments but understand that what we are doing isn't for everyone. There will be a lot of stress (emotional, financial, etc.) involved. I know we can handle it. God has been so good to us and we're blessed with so much. Not material things. That's not what I'm talking about. Love. There's always so much love in our house. In our lives. Our family is strong and God and love is the foundation. I'm so proud of that.

When we said our nightly prayers with the boys last night, we finished with this. "God, please bless mommy, daddy, Isaiah, Jason, baby bear (Isi's bear), and the Smith twins." We laughed a little. That's a mouthful. And it will be a house full. I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment: