Thursday, July 7, 2011

Heartbeats


Karyn went to the doctor yesterday. I didn't feel like I needed to attend due to the nature of the visit. It was a pap smear. I've been there before for that so I know how it goes. The husband sits up at the wife's head while the Dr. makes sure everything is good to go "down there". He'll talk to her about women issues and usually not much about the baby (babies in our case).
The appointment we have on July 15 is to be about the babies. That's when we elected to do the "genetic" test. If you don't know what that is, it predicts if the children will have any medical conditions. Things that "special needs" children have. This isn't the invasive kind. This is just a finger prick and an ultrasound. There's a lot of debate about people doing the test. Some couples elect for abortion if they think the child won't be perfect in their eyes. I won't go into the politics of it here but understand, that's not us. We just want to be as prepared as possible for these little bundles of joy. I digress. The appointment yesterday was supposed to just be about the GYN stuff. The doctor did check everything. Everything seems baby x2 ready. Then the part that pains me to say. She got to hear their hearts beat. One at a time! One was faster than the other so maybe one girl and one boy? :)
I'm so jealous. I don't want to miss a thing. It gives me chills thinking about these little growing babies. 10 weeks from conception. Already swimming around hearts a poundin'. What an amazing miracle this is. I'm very happy Karyn got to hear them. I just wish I had known I could have too.

The doctor said Karyn's thyroid is swollen or has a lump on it. She has lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks. He initially thought the weight loss was from her getting sick at night. She told him that she gets nauseous but doesn't actually throw up. That's when he checked her thyroid. He said she needs to get it checked and we've made her an appointment for tomorrow July 8 for an ultrasound on her throat. Say a prayer all goes well. I know it will. That's the great thing about faith. Believing. Knowing. God is great.

They bumped her due date up from February 5, 2012 to February 2, 2012 but the doctor said if we make it to January, we'll be like "YAY!". If we get that far, any visits to the hospital for labor pains will mean "go time". Before that they will make every attempt to stop the labor since the babies would be premature. (Note from Daddy to babies: Take your time. It's not that great out here. We'll have plenty of time together. I'll keep sending good food your way via mommy's mouth. Love ya!) So that gives us a bit of a time frame. Exciting news! Oh, and I will get to hear those heartbeats next appointment. Oh yes I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment