Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Give Thanks Always


Very high on the list of things that I want my children to learn is gratitude. I want you to understand that everything you have and will have is a blessing. I try to lead by example. I pray that I do what's right most of the time and that you'll want to as well. We should truly value what we have. I've been blessed beyond anything that I could ever deserve and I'm thankful.

I'm thankful for salvation. I don't deserve what I've been given. The gift of eternal life. We all have that choice. He waits for us to make the decision. If we ask and profess, we get the greatest gift of all. I'm thankful He died for me. I want to make Him proud. I hope someday my children will be saved. It would mean the world to me. I would be so.... thankful.

I'm thankful for my country and those that fight for it. So many sacrifices have been made by brave men and women, who don't know me, so my family can live free. They give up the opportunity to spend time with their family so we can live without the fear that so many around the world live with. If my children ever decide to serve, I will support them. I would worry daily but can imagine the pride parents of military personnel feel. To the men and women of our armed forces, I'm thankful for you. I love you.

I'm thankful for my state and my home in East Tennessee. I'm surrounded by God's wonderful work. If you've ever hiked in the mountains, chatted with an "old timer", or watched the Vols play in the Fall, you understand this blessing. You will get to experience this, Audrey and Bailey. Never take it for granted. I'm thankful for it. I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

I'm thankful for my extended family. I'm blessed with so many wonderful uncles and aunts. Cousins and in-laws. They all help make me who I am. I'm proud of my heritage and my people. We have a strong foundation and I'm glad I get to bring my children into the world to carry on my name. My blood. I'm thankful of the place God has placed me.

I'm thankful for my brother and sisters. Through our battles and struggles, we have become so close. An unbreakable bond that nothing can destroy. We have had and continue to have moments of disagreements but our relationships are firmly planted in love. I would die for them. One day girls, you will experience that. I can only imagine the bond between twins. Nurture it. The bond with your brothers should be equally strong. I'm thankful for the love. A special bond.

I'm thankful for my mom and dad and step-dad. Without them, I'm not much of a man at all. My dad instilled in me that hard work, and nothing else, will get you where you want to be. My mom taught me that love is real and to love a child is the best way to be a great parent and mentor. My step-dad made me street smart. To think outside the box and solve problems. It's where I get my "can do" attitude. I'm thankful for them. They're the best.

I'm thankful for my kids. Yes you, Bailey, Audrey... and Jason... and Isaiah. You guys saved my life. If I wasn't a daddy, where would I be? I don't want to know. Some people never get to hug their child. Or say their prayers with them. Or pass a football with them. Or even play dolls with them.. sigh. (Kidding... Can't wait!) I'm thankful for the opportunity to raise you and teach you how to be good human beings. How to love others and appreciate everything that's given to you. Work hard for it. You'll be even more thankful for it. You kids make me a better me. I'm so glad we get to add 2 more babies to our family. It's a true blessing and a great responsibility. I love you.

I'm thankful for my wife. She's everything that I'll ever need. She builds me up. I wouldn't be able to be the daddy that I am without Mommy. You should be thankful for her too. You guys are so lucky to have a mommy that loves you as much as she does. She makes sacrifices for me and you guys all the time. She's a rock and the foundation to our family. I will love and protect her until the last breath escapes my body. She means that much to me. I'm so thankful for her. I'm so blessed.

I hope I've given you a little insight into what matters to me. God, Family, Home, Children, and my beautiful Wife. One day, I hope my kids will be able to tell my grandkids all the many blessings that God has given them. Love everybody, be yourself, and always give thanks. As we sit down to stuff our face on Thanksgiving Day, I know what will be on my mind. Gratitude. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment