Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Doting on my little angels


We took a trip to my grandparents house this weekend, as a family. We celebrated my grandfather's 95th birthday. My dad cooked a Thanksgiving style meal since everyone probably won't be able to get together at that time. My grandma is pulling through her latest health problems (Praise God!) but she's still not 100%. Grandpa is doing as good as can be expected. He's sticking around for Grandma. I couldn't be prouder of them. They are what we all should be. The world would be a better place. We had a great time. The boys behaved, which was nice. Karyn was a champ. She took it easy and relaxed. I could see Grandma doting on her. I told my (smart and beautiful) wife that, and she asked what "doting" meant. That cracked me up. I asked my brother "Uncle Brian" to back me up that it's truly a word. He sided with my wife. I had to prove it. I need people to understand the word so they have a way to describe me once the twins get here. I'm "dotin", as we say in the South, already.

I said something the other day and it really got me thinking. I said, "If you've ever listened to your child count to 100, that's 1 minute 40 seconds (or 5 minutes) that you did right with your life." That made me stop and think about how I don't regret 1 single second that I've spent with my children. When I'm with them, I know what I'm doing is real. I'm teaching them how to be. How to grow. Molding them. We all screw up as parents in some fashion. There's no instruction manual. You do the best you can, pray, and have faith that what you did was just. I love my children more than I could ever explain to anyone that cares to listen. A father's love. If you've ever held your child against your chest, "fixed a boo-boo", or coached your kids team, you know what I'm saying. I'm so proud to be called "Daddy".

We went trick or treating on Halloween. Isaiah was a skeleton. No, really. We bought him a costume. Although he probably didn't need one. He is so skinny. Jay went as Super Mario. He was hilarious with his big mustache. I took the boys door to door while Karyn followed in the "Swagger Wagon". We walked up to one house where a little old lady stood half way out of her screen door and talked to a couple kids already standing there. I heard her say to the kids, "I have a bag of candy in here but I don't know where it is. I will give you DOUBLE the amount if you come in and help me find it." Um.. stranger danger, anyone? The two kids went in and my wonderful sons sat down in the chairs on her front porch with another loud mouth kid. I asked what they were doing. They said "waiting". A couple other kids started walking toward the porch where the boys were sitting and the loud mouth kid yelled, "YOU DON'T WANT TO COME HERE, YOU HAVE TO WAIT!" The other parents and I cracked up. The little old lady popped back out the door with the two kids but.. no candy (I told the boys it was probably raisins, anyway). I won't mention the face-plant Isaiah did at the next house when he jumped off the porch into the grass. That's between him and me. He was ok though. He got up and made sure he didn't drop any candy. Holidays are always special.

Karyn is doing a great job. She's holding up as well as can be expected carrying TWO babies. She told me today, "Women who carry 3 or more babies are my new heroes!" Two is very impressive too, honey! Her back hurts her. It gets worse as the day goes on, of course. I read something today, though, that said that laying down a lot isn't real good for her body either. I don't know how women do it. Better you guys than me. She's growing a lot. Unfortunately, so am I. I bet I've gained 10 lbs since she's been pregnant. I eat when she eats. She eats ALL THE TIME. It's good for her and my growing girls. We go back to the doctor this coming Friday and I can't wait to see Audrey and Bailey via the ultrasound. I may try to reach through the screen and start dotin' on Daddy's little girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment